Tuesday 5 January 2010

Regeneration

Back-to-school day turned out to be a bit of an anti-climax in the end; heavy snow overnight and this morning meant that the local schools were all closed and - yay! - my babes were at home for one more precious day of holidays.  With favourite toys out and happy sounds emanating from the sitting room, I retreated to the kitchen for my reward; a little pottering in anticipation of a lovely, leisurely lunch instead of the rather rushed affair of days ruled by the school-run.

For all the hand-wringing that goes on at this time of year about the leftovers from the festive season I, for one, love prinking bits of box-bound remains in the fridge to make something different and delicious.  To wilfully (and woefully, I'm afraid) paraphrase Dr Johnson "a woman who is tired of cheese, is tired of life".  However it must be said that at this time of year the cheeseboard which I usually fall upon with such enthusiasm begins to lose a little of its appeal.   Just a little, mind.  To remedy that, I like to make this little dish...


Potted Stilton

This quantity fills two ramekins, but increase the quantities as you like.

75g butter
150g stilton
1/2 tsp English mustard powder
pepper
2 tbsp port

Melt the butter in a small pan.  Meanwhile, mix the mustard powder and a little pepper into the port and set aside.  Crumble the stilton into the food processor or blender jug and pour over the port and, when melted, the butter.  Whizz to a smooth paste and scrape into ramekin dishes.

I like to eat this with my favourite tiny toasts and some chutney or, even better, the last of the Christmas cranberry sauce.  Now then, cheese is a real superfood...

Cath xx

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails