Wednesday 5 September 2007

Mmmmmmm...

There’s just nothing like it. Comfort food, ultimate meal, call it what you like. Nothing really touches good old egg and chips. Hubby prefers to have something else as well; sausages or, as tonight, a bacon chop, but that’s men for you. As far as I’m concerned, anything more is a step too far.

Deep-frying chips at home is emphatically not for me. Once upon a time we did have a deep fat fryer, but after it broke when Karl dropped it on the kitchen floor, we never bothered to replace it. My method of cooking chips in the oven works brilliantly, is much healthier and safer to cook. The firemen who visited our playgroup earlier this year put the fear of God into us all when they talked about the statistics for chip-pan-related house fires. I’ve got a ‘Misto™’ oil spray which I fill with sunflower oil for this, but use whatever oil spray you have, or indeed just drizzle the chips with a little bit of oil.

Real Oven Chips

Peel your potatoes and cut them into chips. Rinse them in cold water, then plunge them into a large pan of boiling water. Wait for the water to come back to the boil, and then set the timer for 5 minutes. Drain the chips in a colander and leave them to cool a little. Spread them out on an oiled baking sheet, giving them plenty of space - use more than one sheet if you need to. Spray or drizzle with sunflower oil, then cook at 200°c for 20 minutes or so, until the chips are crisp and golden.

While the chips are in the oven you can lay the table, fry your eggs and sort out whatever else you need in relative peace. Even better, the house doesn’t stink afterwards. Or burn down, which is always a plus.

After that little lot, I thought we'd better have some fruit for pudding. So we did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My mum used to make this for me when I was a kid. Found your site, and had this for dinner tonight, with fresh buttered bread, to make chip butties. Lovely stuff. Really liked your oven-baked chips. I've got a deep fryer, but always worry about the risk of fire. I'll be making this again, soon. Thanks very much.

Simon

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails