Wednesday 19 September 2007

Hot Potatoes

We're all still loving our 'Mexican Week'. I'm cooking things I never even thought of trying before and I'm enjoying it immensely. It really hasn't even been any extra effort - no more work than making the usual family meals. Tonight's dinner was my adaptation of one of the recipes on the Mexgrocer website. I didn't want to scare the children (or the old man!) with anything too outlandish, so this Mexican take on cheesy mash immediately struck me as likely to be very popular. I wasn't wrong; the baby in particular is now a right little burrito-face. I get the feeling I'll be making this again before too long...

Chile Potato Burritos

I prefer to steam potatoes rather than boiling them, but do as you like. To steam them, peel and cut into large chunks, then place in a steamer over boiling water for about 25 minutes. Quickly empty the water pan and use it to dry off and mash the cooked potatoes.

4 large potatoes
1 scant tsp ground de arbol chile powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
150g cheddar cheese, grated
8 corn tortillas
400g can chopped tomatoes
about 5 tbsp Mexican Pepper Recaudo Marinade & Grill Sauce

Cook and mash the potatoes (and see above). Beat in 100g of the cheese, the chile powder, cumin and oregano. Spoon some of the potato down the centre of each tortilla and roll up. Place the tortilla rolls ('seam' facing down) side by side in an ovenproof dish. Stir together the tomatoes, the pepper sauce and 100ml water. Pour this over the tortilla in the dish and scatter over the rest of the cheese. Bake at 180°c for half an hour until the cheese has melted and the protruding edges of the tortillas are crisp and browned.

I served this with a simple salad of chopped tomatoes and cucumber and a bowl of soured cream. It was actually quite hard, having to leave some in the dish for Karl, who was due to arrive home from work after the boys and I had eaten dinner this evening. I would have eaten it all, given half a chance! I can hardly even begin to describe how tasty it was, nor urge you to try it strongly enough.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails