Saturday 19 May 2007

Home Alone

Hubby is working this evening so, having fed the boys, bathed them and put them to bed, I've cooked just for me!

This is a recipe I adapted from something I saw in a magazine ages ago when I was dieting to lose weight. Successfully I might add, so there's a plus. On my rather unscientific reckoning, this comes in at about 350 calories, which is a good evening meal as far as I'm concerned, allowing for 'illicit' snacking during the evening (or an entirely off-diet G&T). I use tikka masala curry paste to make it, but I'm a bit of a chilli wuss.

Curried Prawn Pilau

1 heaped tsp curry paste
1/2 small onion,
75g basmati rice
200ml hot vegetable, fish or chicken stock
40g cooked, peeled prawns, defrosted if frozen
7og frozen peas
1/4 red pepper, finely diced
parsley and a wedge of lemon, to serve

Fry the onion with the curry paste until soft. Tip in the rice and stir, to coat in the curry. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Put the lid on and simmer until the rice is cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed (about 10 minutes). Fork in the peas, prawns and diced pepper, cover the pan again and leave for 5 minutes before fluffing it all up and serving with the parsley and lemon on the side. You could chop the parsley and scatter it over, but I quite like it 'whole', as a salad.



Right, now it's time to go and watch 'Doctor Who', which TiVO is kindly recording for me as I type. Saturday night telly is finally great again...where's that popcorn machine?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails