Saturday 12 May 2007

Back in the swing of things

Today was the first day for ages that I've been really on my own with the children, so as you can probably guess, it was pretty hectic. I got some housework done (though not as much as I should). James was in a foul mood for a large chunk of the day, but he had a good long nap after lunch, which did improve matters a little. I gave him some courgette and rice purée with cheese for his supper. This is one of his favourite meals, so hopefully a good full tummy will settle him for the night.


I did find time while the baby was having his post-prandial snooze to make some gingerbread. Hubby has had no packed lunch made for him because I've been away, and today's was pretty basic as I'd done no baking for a while. Gingerbread is a favourite of his, so that was that. This is his mum's recipe, which is brilliant. I've tried a lot of recipes, but always end up back at this one, probably because Karl likes it so much. The recipe uses imperial measurements, because that's the way it was when Barbara gave it to me, and that's how I always cook it.


My Mother-in-Law's Gingerbread


8oz self-raising flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
2oz soft brown sugar
40z treacle
1 egg, beaten, with milk added to make 1/4 pint of liquid


Mix the flour, salt and ginger together. Melt the butter, sugar and treacle together (in a largeish pan), then stir in the flour mixture and the egg-and-milk mixture. Mix well. but do not beat. Pour into a greased tin (either a 7" square or a 1lb loaf pan) and bake at 180°c for 30-40 minutes. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin.




You can add 4oz of raisins with the flour mixture, which is nice for a change (and much favoured by Christopher), but generally we eat this just as it is, with great enjoyment. No mother-in-law jokes in this house!

1 comment:

Blog do Silter said...

Very good!

http://ahoraevez.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails