Thursday 22 March 2007

Mothers' Meeting

I took the boys to playgroup this morning, as usual. We came home at midday for lunch and then the boys played with their Dad (who has the day off work today) while I got on with making some food to take with me to the "Bring & Share Supper" for Mums that I'm going to in Aberystwyth tonight. After some consideration I decided to make a batch of Brown Rice Salad, which is a great favourite here at home and which has always gone down well with everyone I've served it to.

This is something my Mum used to make when I was little and which I still make today. It is particularly good al fresco, for picnics or as a side dish at barbecues. I often prepare it as an accompaniment to a Roasted Vegetable Tart for a relaxed and summery meal.

Brown Rice Salad

For the Soy Sauce Dressing:

150ml olive oil
4 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch ground ginger
good grinding fresh black pepper


Whisk all the ingredients together in a jug and leave to stand while you assemble the salad.

250g (dry weight) brown rice, cooked
3 spring onions, chopped finely
1 large red pepper, diced
50g raisins or sultanas
50g cashew nuts, chopped
handful fresh parsley, finely chopped (curly parsley, for preference - this is a 1970s special, after all)


Stir all the ingredients thoroughly. Pour over the dressing and mix well. Leave to stand for a while before serving.


Obviously this is cooked rice which you are going to eat cold, so you must be careful to cool it quickly and keep it chilled until you serve it. Aside from that, though, it does keep well for a day or so. My hubby will actually eat any leftovers for breakfast the following day, given half the chance!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails